Keeping your church open and welcoming
21 June 2018
At Ecclesiastical, we want to encourage churches to unlock their visitor potential! We are often asked whether churches should be kept locked at all times. Our answer is no, provided the right precautions have been taken. Indeed, we recommend, where appropriate that churches are kept open because of the positive effect that has on security.
Advice for churches
Tips for being open and secure
- Churches wanting to be open need to find the right balance between accessibility and security. This means taking a few key steps:
- Carry out a full risk assessment
- Ensure local residents know that the church is operating an open door policy so that they can observe activity
- Encourage local people to pop into the church while passing by
- Draw up a rota of volunteer stewards to be present in church - but don’t forget to consider their personal safety if for example, they might be alone in a church at any time
- Create a secure storage area in which all valuables can be locked.