Home Insurance - Updates to your Temporary Cover Enhancements (September 2020)
17 September 2020
In light of the easing of national lockdown restrictions previously brought in due to the outbreak of COVID-19, whilst there may still be an impact on your insurance needs, the issues caused by a full lockdown have reduced. In turn this affects the enhancements we voluntarily applied to our policies. We have updated the temporary cover enhancements previously applied as detailed below.
COVID-19 Temporary Cover Enhancements to your policy
Please see the updates below applicable from 1/10/20 to all policies.
- There will be no additional premium for the remaining enhancements
- We will review the position again prior to the expiry of the deadlines noted below for the remaining enhancements and consider further extensions if we deem this appropriate
- The remaining enhancements will apply via this Letter of Intent and will apply as if endorsed onto each policy
Working from home – enhancement extended until 30/09/21
Where your policy does not already provide this cover and provided such contents are not otherwise insured (e.g. by some form of business insurance) your policy is extended to provide cover for office contents temporarily removed to your homes due to the COVID-19 outbreak up to a limit of
- €3,000 any one item
- A maximum of €5,000 any one employee’s home.
Homes that are temporarily unused or not regularly occupied solely due to the COVID-19 outbreak – temporary dispensations will cease on 30/9/20
Homes that are no longer in regular use or occupation are exposed to different and usually greater risk than occupied homes. Our standard policies define “unoccupied” homes and apply standard restrictions in cover and conditions to cover that need to be complied with. Normally a higher premium is charged on unoccupied homes.
To ensure customers were not unduly penalised solely due to the COVID-19 full lockdown restrictions, the normal terms and conditions applicable to unused or unoccupied homes were not applied to homes that were temporarily unused or not regularly occupied because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
With effect from 1/10/20 temporarily unused or not regularly occupied homes must comply with all policy terms and conditions, including (but not restricted to) unoccupied premises conditions, where they fall within the normal policy definition of “unoccupied”.
1) The start of any period of unoccupancy begins from the date the home first became unoccupied (not from 1/10/20).
2) If a home qualifies as unoccupied on 1/10/20 the insured must comply with all policy terms and conditions for unoccupied premises immediately from 1/10/20 to maintain cover in line with the policy (unless otherwise agreed or varied by us in writing).
See the policy definition of Unoccupied for more details.
If in doubt please speak to your broker (Direct customers should use their usual contact points).
Suspension of periodic conditions and maintenance conditions – will re-apply from 1/10/20 and all dispensations cease
We temporarily suspended compliance with risk improvements by the deadline specified by us, and other policy terms requiring regular maintenance or inspection, where these could not be completed during the COVID-19 lockdown because of the restrictions on movement and/or the lack of availability of contractors.
With effect from 1/10/20 the suspension of compliance will cease. Any policy term that requires regular maintenance or inspection re-applies from 1/10/20.
In respect of risk improvements, the deadlines for compliance are re-set as detailed below:
The period of time allowed for compliance/completion:
- Will commence on the date we issued risk improvements to you and run to 12/03/20
- Will be suspended for the period from 13/03/20 to 30/9/20 – this period will not be counted
- Will re-commence on 1/10/20
- Will now include an additional 30 days in addition to the original period, to cater for the difficulties and interruptions caused by lockdown
For example, if the deadline set was 30 days from 1/3/20 the end date is now re-set as:
- 1/3/20 to 12/3/20 (12 days elapsed with 18 days remaining of the original 30)
- 13/3/20 to 30/9/20 does not count towards the deadline
- Deadline period recommences on 1/10/20, so run for 18 days to 18/10/20
- Plus the additional 30 days now added makes the new deadline 18/11/20
If the re-set deadline is not sufficient for any reason please contact us immediately. Do not wait for the end of the allowed period to expire before contacting us.
Automatic cover beyond renewal date
We allowed for the situation where difficulties relating to the pandemic may have caused delays to agreeing renewal terms by introducing an automatic extension in cover for 30 days beyond renewal.
This enhancement is being extended until 30/09/21.
Prior to the expiry of this deadline we will review this further to consider if further extensions may be required.