Home Insurance: COVID-19 Temporary Cover Enhancements
07 April 2020
In light of current uncertainty caused by the outbreak of COVID-19 we understand that there will inevitably be an impact on your insurance needs.
Please see below the automatic enhancements we are applying with immediate effect to all home insurance policies during this period to try to provide additional peace of mind.
- There will be no additional premiums for these enhancements
- These enhancements will automatically apply until 30/6/20.
- We will review the position again prior to 30/6/20 and will extend for a further period if we deem appropriate
- These enhancements will be applied via this Letter of Intent and will apply as if endorsed onto each policy
Working from home
Where your policy does not already provide this cover and provided such contents are not otherwise insured (e.g. by some form of business insurance) your policy is extended to provide cover for office contents temporarily removed to your homes due to the Covid 19 outbreak up to a limit of
- €2,500 any one item
- A maximum of €5,000 any one employees home
Homes that are temporarily unused or not regularly occupied solely due to the Covid 19 outbreak
(This does not apply to homes that were unoccupied before the outbreak which will be deemed Unoccupied as defined in the policy and remain subject to the unoccupied terms and conditions in your policy except as specifically varied in the Suspension of periodic & maintenance conditions noted below.)
Homes that are no longer in regular use or occupation are exposed to different and usually greater risk than occupied homes. Our standard policies define “unoccupied” homes and apply standard restrictions in cover and conditions to cover that need to be complied with. Normally a higher premium is charged on unoccupied homes.
To ensure customers are not unduly penalised solely due to the Covid 19 outbreak the following applies to affected homes:
- Unoccupied cover restrictions and terms will not apply to temporarily unused homes or homes no longer regularly used solely due to the Covid 19 outbreak
- temporarily unused homes or homes no longer regularly used will benefit from
- no reduction in the level of policy cover
- no increase in excesses
- no increases in premium
- Provided the homeowner (or their representatives) comply with the following risk management practices as far as is reasonably possible in the prevailing circumstances.
Temporarily unused homes or homes no longer regularly used
Suspension of periodic conditions & maintenance conditions
Any policy term that requires regular maintenance, inspection or where we have specified completion of a risk improvement by a specified deadline that cannot be fully complied with or fully completed solely due to the Covid 19 outbreak causing travel restrictions or the lack of availability of contractors will be held in automatic abeyance until
- the expiry of the current outbreak or
- the availability of contractors or
- the date the temporary cover enhancement expire